Gayndah was first settled in 1849. It was declared a place for a village and for many years was the centre of the Burnett. It is the largest town in the North Burnett Region.
The name Gayndah is of Aboriginal origin. It may derive from Gu-in-dah meaning thunder or a place of scrub. Wakka Wakka is the aboriginal language spoken in the Burnett River Catchment.